Monday, January 19, 2009

Magazine layouts

Okay, normally I don't post much in the way of opinions but I gotta confess...I'm really thinking about stopping my subscriptions to scrapbook magazines! The last one I received (and I'm not mentioning the name) was really a disappointment. I looked through the entire thing and I think 80% of the pages only had one picture on the page!! Now, I don't know about you, but I have a LOT of photos and if I only put one picture on a page, I would have hundreds of albums. I also have a problem with the amount of embellishments on the page. Last time I checked, scrapbooks were for preserving memories and that included photos. Some of the pages I barely noticed the picture -- there was too much "stuff" on the page that drew my eye away from the real reason for the page.

How about you? What do you think about the layouts that you see in the magazines? Do you think they are a little over the top or do you like a lot of embellishment on your pages? Let me know by leaving a comment! Who knows? Maybe you can convince me that there is a reason for all of the extra stuff.

Ronda

3 comments:

Jan Foselli said...

I agree Ronda. Seriously, we all work (and some of us work full-time & try to run a part-time business as well!), and who really has the time to make 1 page with 1 photo & a ton of embellishments on 1 page. I try to go for simple with a story to tell. If I ever have time to make every page 'perfect', then I will but reality is - no time!

Unknown said...

This has been my comment for a long time--scrapbooking has become a combination of many crafts put together on one page. I agree, Ronda, that scrapbooking is getting several, if not ten, pictures to tell the story along with journaling and a few enhancements to top it off. I also no longer subscribe to scrapbooking magazines for the same reason--they mostly show pages with 1 or maybe 2 pictures and tons of other "stuff". Also I'm very fanatic about having my pages be flat, not covered with "puffy" or even "sharp" embellishments. I like paper piecing and die cuts. But if others have different preferences, fine, that's what it's about--doing what YOU like and there's no right or wrong way to scrapbook as long as it's done to last a long time.

Ronda (Beyond Scrapbooks) said...

Thanks for the feedback, ladies! I always wonder how other people feel about those magazines. I love to look through them and see how people have used some of the new products as they come out but they don't work for me to scraplift any layouts but I'm sure they do for others. I appreciate the comments.

Ronda